JOB DESCRIPTION (SUMMARY)
Atlanta Pride, Inc. is a Georgia-based 501(c)(3). The mission of the Atlanta Pride Committee is to advance unity, visibility, and wellness among persons with widely diverse gender and sexual identities through cultural, social, political, and educational programs and activities. The organization’s signature event-- the annual Pride Parade and Festival has grown from a small grass roots march for equal rights into Atlanta’s largest celebration of human rights. We’re looking for a highly skilled, transformational leader to serve as our Executive Director to help us to fulfill this important undertaking.
The Executive Director will be a visionary who is passionate about serving the LGBTQ community. The executive director is responsible for the successful leadership and management of the day-to-day operations of the organization according to the strategic direction set by the Board of Directors in order to ensure program and fiscal sustainability and accountability. The executive director works with, and supports the board in defining organizational priorities; developing strong, collaborating relationships with Atlanta’s widely diverse lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender communities. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will oversee the strategic and operational efficiency and effectiveness of our programs and staff. This seasoned leader will represent the organization within the educational, philanthropic, artistic, and business communities in the Atlanta area.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications and skills:
- Dynamic, entrepreneurial, proven leader with at least 5 years senior level management experience.
- Strong resource development and fundraising skills. This position is expected to develop approximately 50% of it’s time to resource development and donor stewardship.
- Proven organizational and people leadership skills. We seek a candidate with strong executive presence, and well developed interpersonal skills. Ability to lead through growth and challenges, with proven relationship-building, collaboration and conflict resolution skills, with a special sensitivity to the surface-level and deep-level diverse cultures in the Atlanta community.
- Strong communications skills: Verbal, written, public speaking and one-on-one communication are essential to the success of this position.
- Strong intra- and interpersonal abilities in the areas of culture building, operations, and logistics.
- A working understanding of nonprofit finances and financial management practices, with experience managing budgets over $2.0 million. The board of directors places a strong emphasis on good “back office” discipline.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $105,000 - $125,000, based on background and experience. Atlanta Pride offers competitive, employer-paid benefits.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Board of Director Relations
- Work in partnership with Board of Directors and committees on establishing strategic direction, goals and objectives; policies and procedures for mission and vision achievement.
- Work in partnership with the board to ensure the success the annual Pride Festival.
- Provide the board with complete, effective and timely information on all aspects of operations, including internal and external issues affecting the organization and its stakeholders.
- Advise the board on all aspects of the organization’s operations.
- Foster effective teamwork and collaboration with board and staff.
Organizational Leadership and Management
- Develop and monitor annual staff work plans and timelines to carry out Atlanta Pride’s strategic plan, including the development of programming consistent with goals and objectives.
- Provide oversight on all aspects of the annual Pride Festival.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable human resources laws, regulations, and organizational policies. Further, the Executive Director must have a commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Accessibility throughout the hiring and employment process.
- Establish a positive, healthy, and safe work environment.
- Recruit, hire, orient, supervise and train staff.
- Implement a performance management system with regular performance monitoring and annual performance reviews; mentoring; and conflict resolution as needed.
Finance and Risk Management
- Work with the board to prepare a comprehensive organizational budget.
- Ensure maintenance of internal controls and financial procedures; legal and regulatory compliance and accountability regarding all financial functions and reporting requirements.
- Approve expenditures within the authority delegated by the board.
- Prepare and maintain regular, comprehensive financial reports for board.
- Manage the annual tax filing and audit process with the assistance of the bookkeeper and board treasurer.
- Assist the board in the development of long-term financial planning and analysis, and investment management.
- Identify and evaluate risks affecting the organization’s people, property, finances, goodwill and image.
- Ensure the necessary insurance coverage, with an understanding of conditions and limitations, to manage identified risks as appropriate.
- Work with the board to secure adequate resources needed to support the organization’s strategic goals and objectives.
- Develop and implement strategies to broaden existing funding relationships and creating pathways to diversify fundraising to new sources. (e.g., individual donors and foundations.)
- Provide oversight for all aspects of resource development and execution, including sponsorships, grants, and individual donor cultivation.
- Develop and expand relationships with corporate and individual donors.
- Ensure compliance with all funder-imposed funding requirements, restrictions, and reporting.
Community Outreach and Advocacy
- Communicate with stakeholders about the work of the organization and to identify evolving community needs.
- Collaborate in advocacy efforts to protect and support the LGBTQ community locally, nationally, and internationally.
- Act as spokesperson for the organization. Must have a strong comfort representing the organization when facing print and electronic media,
- Provide leadership to the LGBTQ and the greater Atlanta community by developing innovative ways to provide programs to the community by leveraging the organization’s resources.
- Provide oversight for organizational communication and marketing plans.
- Support organizational partnerships and programming in conjunction with partners.
- Represent Atlanta Pride to the public and work to increase awareness of the organization.
- Cultivate and maintain mutually beneficial key relationships on behalf of the organization through outreach and collaboration across the community.
Event Planning and Operations Management
- Experience planning and executing events a definite plus, including collaborating with external partners on larger-scale events, including fundraising events. (e.g., galas, etc.)
- Strong project management skills highly desired, including the ability to anticipate irregular operations and respond accordingly.
- A calm, reliable demeanor and ability to pivot successfully when dealing with unexpected occurrences is essential.